Flash-Revival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking Creativity To A New Level

HomePortalInhouse AnimationsDownloadsLatest imagesLog inSearchRegisterLinks

References in the Bible

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
meodingu
Amazing poster
Amazing poster
meodingu

References in the Bible Empty
PostSubject: References in the Bible   References in the Bible I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 am

Main article: History of music in the biblical period
"David with his harp" Paris Psalter,
c. 960, Constantinople

Music and theatre scholars studying the history and anthropology of Semitic and early Judeo-Christian culture, have also discovered common links between theatrical and musical activity in the classical cultures of the Hebrews with those of the later cultures of the Greeks and Romans. The common area of performance is found in a "social phenomenon called litany," a form of prayer consisting of a series of invocations or supplications. The Journal of Religion and Theatre notes that among the earliest forms of litany, "Hebrew litany was accompanied by a rich musical tradition:"[8]

"While Genesis 4.21 identifies Jubal as the “father of all such as handle the harp and pipe,” the Pentateuch is nearly silent about the practice and instruction of music in the early life of Israel. Then, in I Samuel 10 and the texts that follow, a curious thing happens. “One finds in the biblical text,” writes Alfred Sendrey, “a sudden and unexplained upsurge of large choirs and orchestras, consisting of thoroughly organized and trained musical groups, which would be virtually inconceivable without lengthy, methodical preparation.” This has led some scholars to believe that the prophet Samuel was the patriarch of a school, which taught not only prophets and holy men, but also sacred-rite musicians. This public music school, perhaps the earliest in recorded history, was not restricted to a priestly class—which is how the shepherd boy David appears on the scene as a minstrel to King Saul."[8]

MadDog
Starting Activeness
Starting Activeness
MadDog

References in the Bible Empty
PostSubject: Re: References in the Bible   References in the Bible I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 9:07 am

This is interesting. I never thought about the music performed in biblical times, but it makes sense that their would have been organized musical groups, as has been documented in most other ancient cultures. Thanks for your post.

religious jewelry
Back to top Go down

References in the Bible
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Flash-Revival :: Offtopic :: Media and Entertainment-
Jump to: